1/1 Photo of Honey Wheat Muffins
A healthier approach to a moist, sweet muffin. Adapted from "Healthy Cooking for Two" by Brenda Shriver. I worked with Brenda in the mid-1990's and she was kind enough to give me a copy of one of her cookbooks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened (original recipe called for low-fat margarine but I prefer butter for baking. Your choice.)
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 3 -4 shredded wheat biscuits, crumbled to make 3/4 cup
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins (or chopped dried apricots)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly coat 6 muffin tin cups with cooking spray.
- 2In a small bowl, mix together the milk, egg white, honey, butter or margarine and applesauce.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine crumbled cereal, flours, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 4Add the liquid ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Add the raisins & stir gently.
- 5Spoon into muffin cups, 3/4 full or more.
- 6Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they test done. Don't overbake.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Wheat Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.3
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 158.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
shredded wheat biscuits