Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine buttermilk and oats in a small saucepan; heat just until warm; set aside.
- Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine honey and vegetable oil with oat mixture.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into wet mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
per Anu "really soft immediate after baking so I had to remove them from the muffin cups with care".......I added 2 eggs for a binder.
These were OK...not much flavor. I upped the honey to 1/3c and added an additional 1/4c ww flour. I also added 3/4c raisins and 1/2t cinnamon. These weren't bad, but nothing incredible either. Thanks for sharing!
This tastes wonderful warm! I used 1 cup plain yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup water instead of the buttermilk, but didn't change anything else. These were really soft immediate after baking so I had to remove them from the muffin cups with care. These muffins were barely sweet, so I think you could safely double the amount of honey.