Recipe by brenda-ohio
Created this recipe from a white french bread recipe adding a little more nutrition to it. Makes two 18 inch long loaves. Hearty, chewy without being overly heavy. Prep time does not include rising time.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- You can mix this in a 2 lb automatic bread machine, but I mixed and knead for.
- 5 minutes in my KitchenAid.
- Then using more olive oil,oil the bowl
- and turn the dough a couple times to coat.
- Cover with a wet towel and let raise in an unlit oven for 2 hours, punch down, knead between hands and then let rise another 90 minutes.
- Punched down, knead and shape
- into two equal 18 inch ropes and place in sprayed pans to rise again for 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until browning on top and sounds hollow when thumped on bottom.
- Remove from oven and brush
- tops with butter, if you want soft crusts.
- Let cool before slicing.
- Store in airtight bags.