Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is our favorite cornbread recipe....concocted after much time fiddling around with "traditional" recipes trying to convert them into a healthier alternative using whole grain flour. My kids could make a meal of this by itself. If you're going to give it a try, serve warm (of course); slice pieces in half horizontally and spread with butter and additional honey, replace tops and enjoy! :) Posted for safe-keeping; made public at the request of a friend. *NOTE* If using store bought all-purpose or wheat flour, flour amounts will not be the same.
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 4 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups freshly gorund soft wheat
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine ground flax and water; set aside until water is absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- Combine remaining ingredients; add flax.
- Spread into baking dish. (I actually use a 11" round stoneware deep dish baker for this cornbread with an 11-cup capacity. I think a 9x9x2" square pan would be an equivalent substitution, or a 13x9" rectangular pan - but you may have to adjust the cooking time.).
- Bake at 400° 15-20 minute or until golden brown and tests done.
This is so yummy. Happy to have a recipe with all whole wheat too. Used a hard white wheat that I ground fresh. Seemed a tiny bit dry to me, but I probably overcooked it a bit. I baked it in a cast-iron skillet in the oven. Will watch a little closer next time. Thank you so much. Love it.