Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
heart healthy honey whole wheat bread
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 5 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄3 cups skim milk
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 2/3 cup warm water; add 3 cups.
- whole wheat flour, milk and salt. Stir.
- Warm honey, pour over flour.
- mixture; add applesauce
- Beat until smooth, using low.
- speed of electric mixer.
- Gradually add remaining whole wheat and.
- enriched white flour; stir with a wooden spoon to soft dough.
- Form into a ball.
- Knead 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half;.
- knead 10 minutes.
- Cover bread with waxed paper. Place dish towel over.
- top. Put in warm place and let raise until doubled in volume; uncover.
- and punch down.
- Divide into two loaf pans sprayed with Pam. Cover with waxed paper.
- Let raise in warm place until doubled in volume again.
- Bake at 375.
- degrees 40 - 50 minutes, or until deep brown on top.