Prep 3 hrs 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The flavor and texture are incredible. This recipe makes three loaves. If you love bread but find it upsets the digestion - some of my customers have found they can eat this bread without digestion problems. If you are not used to whole wheat be aware that eating too much at first may also cause digestion upset. In this case start with lower amounts to allow your body to adjust to a healthier bread. Because there is only 2 Tablespoons of honey per loaf and low in salt - the bread is heart healthy and diabetic friendly. If you can grind or mill your own wheat and you are willing to take the time then this recipe is for you. I use 1/3 of the yeast home bakers are taught to use and allow it to develop it's own yeast. This is a much healthier way to prepare home baked bread.
- 44 ounces wheat (hard white wheat 2 lbs 12 oz)
- 27 1⁄8 ounces water (1 lb 11.1 oz)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄8 cup canola oil
- 3⁄8 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- Weigh and mill wheat into flour. (Ktec or Nutrimill is a new technology that produces fine flour at low temperature retaining more nutrients.).
- Warm water to luke warm or about 110 degrees F.
- Put water, salt, oil, and honey into mixer with dough hooks. (Bosch is a good brand.) Add 1/2 of flour into mixer. Add yeast on top of flour. (Never add yeast directly with salt.) Incorporate ingredients. With mixer on low speed add the rest of the flour a cup at a time.
- Set timer for 6 minutes and leave mixer running on low to develop the gluten.
- Prepare large bowl with a little bit of canola oil to coat. Let it coat your hands as well to handle the dough.
- Remove the dough from mixer directly into bowl. Turn dough to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Roll dough out onto a clean surface lightly coated with oil and fold. Do this by pulling the edges of the dough up and over to the center of the dough. Do this a couple of times, put back in the bowl with the seams up, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Repeat last two steps two more time.
- Roll dough onto counter and divide into three loaves. Prepare each loaf one at a time. Fold into a round/cylinder and pinch seams. With seam side down roll into cylinders the length of the bread pans.
- If bread pans are non-stick, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 is prefered, place cylinder directly into pan and cover with plastic wrap. (If not non-stick you can use 1 part liquid lecithin and 2 parts canola oil - brush this into the pan and the baked bread will fall right out. This will also change the flavor of the bread slightly. Make sure pans are thoroughly washed afterwards.).
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Let rise until dough domes up over sides. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature exceeds 180 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and bread pans and place on cooling racks.
- Extra loaves can be stored in the freezer. Do not put in refrigerator as this will change the chemical nature of the bread and will make it dry and brittle.