1/2 Photos of Honey Wheat Black Bread (Like Outback's Bread)
This is a recipe I found at King Arthur Flour site. Here is what they state about the recipe: This loaf, often known as Canadian Brown Bread, is dark and quite sweet, but pleasingly so; we love it with just a plain pat of butter. Time doesn't include 1 hour or more rising time. Update 2/22/12 - I have now made this recipe and adjusted it according to what I did differently. This is now, an adapted version of King Arthur's recipe, as several of the reviews on their site had problems with the amount of liquid/flour ratio and I changed the type of cocoa and cut the amount of instant coffee.
My Private Note
small l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (12 oz)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (I used their black cocoa but could substitute Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, but only use 1/2 Tablesp)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1Manual/Mixer Method: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, or the bowl of your electric mixer, combine all of the ingredients. Stir the mixture together, using your hands, a spoon, or your mixer, till the dough forms a shaggy mass that begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- 2Knead the dough, by hand or mixer, for about 10 minutes, till it's become smooth. Transfer it to a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise until doubled in bulk, at least 1 hour.
- 3Bread Machine Method: Place all of the ingredients into the pan of your bread machine. Program the machine for manual or dough, and press Start. Examine the dough about midway through the kneading cycle; it should be soft and smooth, but not overly sticky. Adjust the consistency with additional water or bread flour, as needed. Allow the machine to complete its cycle.
- 4Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a small log-shaped loaf. This dough is soft, so use flour or a non-stick spray on your hands. Sprinkle a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet with cornmeal, place the loaves on the sheet, and cover. Let the loaves rise for 1 hour, or until they look "puffy" but aren't doubled in size.
- 5Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. The loaves will appear slightly darker on the top when they're done. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 mini-loaves.
- 6This bread stays moist and delicious for at least four days. If you want a less sweet bread, just cut the honey to 1/4 cup and leave out the 1 tablespoon sugar. The bread won't stay moist as long, but has very good flavor. We also tried this bread with molasses in place of the honey, and it was very good.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Wheat Black Bread (Like Outback's Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.0
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 220.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 3.9 g