1/1 Photo of Honey Wheat Berry Bread
Belinda M.'s Note:
A delicious wheatberry bread that tastes like store-bought. Kids love it! I use my bread machine on the dough setting to mix and knead the dough, but can also be made using a KA mixer or by hand. This bread uses vital wheat gluten, which can be purchased at wal-mart and most grocery stores.
My Private Note
1 1/2 - ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water (cold water)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- 1/2 cup hard red wheat berries (cooked)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour (or all-purpose)
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk (Non-Fat Dry)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast (or quick rising yeast)
- 1**To cook wheat berries**.
- 2Combine 1/2 cup rinsed wheat berries and 2 cups water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered for about 1 ½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, adding water if necessary. ( Cook until soft and some are popping open)
- 3Drain any standing water before adding the cooked wheat berries to the dough.
- 4Add drained wheat berries and 1 cup of cold water in the bread machine pan, Cool to lukewarm.
- 5Add the rest of the liquid ingredients followed by the dry ingredients on top, yeast will be last.
- 6Set bread machine to dough setting. Check in a few minutes, if dough looks too dry or too wet add a few tablespoons of warm water or flour to get a good soft dough consistency.
- 7When dough setting is complete (my machine is 1 ½ hours) remove dough from bread machine pan onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a roll. Put in a bread pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil spray. Let rise for about 40 minutes to 1 hour or until about 1 ½ inches above pan.
- 8Cook on 350 degrees on middle rack of oven for about 30 to 35 minutes. Should be golden brown ( when thumped with your finger on the bottom of the loaf it should sound hollow )
- 9Remove bread from pan to cooling rack to cool. Let it cool at least 1 hour before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Wheat Berry Bread
Serving Size: 1 (48 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.5
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 116.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten