Recipe by Erindipity
From the Paula Deen magazine. This is a hearty slightly sweet beer bread. I have made with the honey wheat beer called for as well as regular beer and flavored beers. The baked bread may be frozen for later use. If you like, the dry ingredients can also be made into a mix and labeled with instructions for later use.
Top Review by Heather Hendrix
This is my recipe! Submitted it to Paula Deen magazine several years ago. It was adapted from my German great grandmother's recipe made using all white flour. I like the nuttiness wheat flour adds to it. The magazine didn't publish this tip, but I recommend using Rumford aluminum free baking powder. So glad that others are enjoying it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 12 ounces honey wheat beer
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly greast a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt and brown sugar.
- Add 1/4 c honey and beer, stirring well.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Brush 1 tablespoon honey and melted butter over dough.
- Bake 50 minutes.