Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my favorite dishes at a well known KC restaurant. It's taken me quite a while to perfect this but I think this is very close.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup english walnuts
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil (for frying)
- 3 cups shredded cabbage or 3 cups bok choy
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- In small saucepan bring water and sugar to a boil. Add walnuts and continue boiling for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and place walnuts on a cookie sheet to dry.
- Grate cabbage and carrots and toss lightly to mix. Place on serving platter. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whip egg white with wire whisk until light and foamy. Stir in corn starch until it takes on a thick consistency. Heat oil in deep skillet over medium-high heat to 350 degrees f.
- While oil is heating make the sauce. In medium bowl mix together mayonnaise, honey, sweetened condensed milk, orange juice and orange zest. Set aside.
- Dip shrimp into batter mixture and fry in heated oil 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- You will want to do this in 3-4 batches. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Place shrimp on top of cabbage and carrot mixture, drizzle with sauce and sprinkle with the glazed walnuts. Can be served on steamed rice or by itself as a salad.
I loved the sauce, but I only rated it 3 stars cause the breading was too thick for me. The second time, I dipped the shrimp in very lightly beat egg whites and tossed them in cornstarch. This lightly coated the shrimp the way I like. The sauce is not to be beat though, incredible taste.
My dh and I thought that these shrimp are wonderful! Thanks a bunch!!!
This receipe was excellent. I forgot about the mayo and did not have enough so I used 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream. My kids ate the oranges (LOL), so I used lemon juice. I did not feel that the sauce was too sweet and really enjoyed the lemon hint. Overall, a great recipe that I will be making again.