Recipe by Lizzymommy
When I saw these caramels that incorporate all of my husband's favorite things, I KNEW I had to make them for this year's Holiday Cookie Tray! Prep time does not include cooling time.
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh espresso powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the toasted, chopped nuts into a bowl and set aside. Line a, 11x7-inch dish with nonstick baking paper, fold corners so it doesn’t pop out.
- Heat honey, cream, espresso powder & salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan with very high sides (this mixture is prone to lots of foaming!) over medium heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and cook whilst continuously stirring for 20 minutes or till mixture reaches 257 degrees F - firm ball stage (125 degrees C).
- Pour walnuts into the caramel and quickly stir well to combine, then pour into the lined dish. Lightly rub the back of a spatula/large metal spoon with oil and use it to firmly press the mixture into the corners and level it down. Store in the fridge till it has firmed up and set.
- Lightly rub a sharp kitchen knife with oil, then carefully slice the block of caramel into bite size pieces. Take a roll of non-stick baking paper and cut into little squares that are big enough to comfortably wrap around each of the caramels, then wrap them all up and store in a cool, dry place to be enjoyed when you wish!