1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Two types of honey serve two distinct purposes in this recipe. Mellow, slightly spicy clover honey intensifies the sweetness of the tangy tomatoes as they slow roast. After the bruschetta is assembled, a drizzle of robust buckwheat honey balances the creamy ricotta cheese. This recipe is by Susan Spungen in an article that appeared in F&W Magazine, August 2008 edition. "From Honey from A to Bee." The article says that bees continue to disappear from their hives, but those kept by artisanal producers are hanging on - and making fabulous honey. This is a healthy, vegetarian recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes or 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 baguette (12 slices, cut 1/2 inch thick on the bias)
- 1 cup fresh ricotta (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat honey or 1 tablespoon chestnut honey
- 6 basil leaves, torn or 6 thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1Preheat the oven to 300°F
- 2Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes with the olive oil, honey, thyme leaves, salt and pepper.
- 4Scrape the tomatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and turn them cut side up.
- 5Bake the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 25 minutes, until they begin to shrivel and brown; let cool.
- 6Preheat the broiler.
- 7Spread out the baguette slices on a baking sheet.
- 8Broil for about 30 seconds on each side, until the edges are golden brown.
- 9Spread the ricotta over the baguette slices and top with the slow-roasted tomatoes.
- 10Lightly drizzle the tomatoes with the buckwheat honey, sprinkle with the sliced basil and serve with additional buckwheat honey on the side.
- 11*The roasted tomatoes can be refrigerated for up to 2 days; bring to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey-Tomato Bruschetta With Ricotta
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.5
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 20.9 mg
- Sodium 790.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: