Recipe by NetDiva Amy
This is a quick marinade that's best on chicken but delicious on fish too. You can bake, BBQ or grill.
Top Review by loof
This chicken was just terrific! I was surprised by the strong presence of the chili powder but it really worked with the tangy tequila/lime and the sweet honey. I marinated boneless skinless chicken breasts for about 6 hours, then grilled them and they were very tender and very flavorful. This was a great chicken marinade that I will definitely use again - thanks for posting!
- 1 cup tequila
- 6 limes
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 2 lbs chicken thighs or 2 lbs fish fillets
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients, except cilantro and meat in medium sauce pan.
- Simmer over medium heat about 15 minutes or until onions are soft but not clear.
- Cool completely. (Instead of adding water above, I add ice cubes at this stage.).
- Place chicken in a baking pan and pour mixture over the chickent.
- Marinade at least 1 hour, preferably over night. If the sauce doesn't completely cover the meat, turn it over half way through.
- If baking, pour out half the liquid and cover with finely chopped cilantro.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until meat is cooked through (depending on type of meat and size of pieces).
- If grilling, then grill and add the cilantro after cooking.