Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
In an effort to reduce the refined sugars in our diet, I searched online and elsewhere for ketchup using natural sweeteners. The results were a disappointment. What good is a healthy recipe that your kids won't eat? I started with a Heinz clone recipe and adjusted it until I finally had something with a good balanced flavor that tasted like real ketchup.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth.
- When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator. This has good keeping qualities.
- ** The small addition of lemon juice helps to disguise any residual honey taste.
- *** The clove powder adds a depth of flavor.