Recipe by Dreamgoddess
This is one of the recipes I adopted. I'll submit any necessary modifications to the recipe when I prepare it.
- 6 eggs, separated, room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- With electric mixer, beat egg yolks; gradually blend in sugar and almond powder.
- Cream mixture until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Add honey (and almond extract).
- Mix together milk, baking soda and cooled melted butter; add to egg yolk mixture.
- Gradually add sifted flour mixture.
- When batter is thoroughly blended, quickly but gently fold in egg whites.
- Steaming: Before mixing, bring water in steamer to boil.
- Grease bottom only of 9" round flat-bottom, high-sided bowl (or tube pan, bundt pan or cupcake tins).
- Pour batter into bowl.
- Steam for 1 hour.
- Best served steaming hot, cake can always be resteamed without suffering.