Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe was given to my by a friend and I did not see it on hear. But it is good.
- 14 -16 lbs turkey
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 330 degrees F. Mix chili powder, garlic powder, allspice, cumin, salt, red pepper, honey and water in small bowl until well blended; set aside.
- 2. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; discard or refrigerate for another use. Drain juices and dry turkey. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey.
- 3. Place turkey on flat roasting rack in roasting pan about 3 inches deep, breast up. Brush turkey with oil. Roast turkey 3 to 3-1/2 hours, covering breast and top of drumsticks loosely with foil after 2 hours to prevent overcooking of breast.
- 4. Uncover turkey breast and brush turkey with honey-spice mixture during the last 52 minutes of baking. Return foil to top of turkey and continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted deep in thigh reaches 182 degrees F. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.