Prep 10 mins
Cook 32 mins
We love duck as a treat when it's just the 2 of us and it goes really well with this Chinese style marinade. Prep time doesn't include marinading.
- 2 duck breasts
- 20 ml honey
- 20 ml sherry wine vinegar
- 20 ml soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 spring onions
- Score the duck breast skin in a criss-cross fashion.
- Blend the honey, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, five spice powder and pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat the duck in this marinade in a shallow bowl.
- Cover and leave for 1 hour or overnight.
- Set the oven to fairly hot, 200c/400f.
- Put the duck on a rack in a roasting tin, reserving the marinade.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes depending on their size and how well you like your duck cooked.
- Put the marinade and 40mls of the roasting juices in a small pan.
- Add the spring onions and bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- I serve the duck on a bed of rice with the sauce and spring onions spooned over, and sometimes some cranberry sauce to finish.
This is absolutely gorgeous. Sooooo tasty. I used white wine vinegar instead of sherry wine vinegar - still tasted great. Better when marinaded over night, but about 5 hours will do. The duck fat/skin mostly drips off, but is used to make a light sauce - fantastic but I'm sure very fattening! Make this regularly and serve with new potatoes and french beans and a good bottle of Red Bordeaux.
I agree this was delicious. I roasted a whole duck (6lbs for 2.5hours at 190C) and it came out beautifully. The skin was especially tasty and juices made a good sauce to accompany it. A good reccommendation would be adding a little bit of water into the tray below the roasting rack so that the duck steams as well as roasts - very succulent.
i made this last night for dinner, excellent dish. but i cooked it a bit differently. after marinating i put the breasts in a grill pan, fat side down to eliminate some of the fat and brown the rest, then i briefly grilled the other side. then i removed it to the roasting pan with the marinade and basted it, roasted it in the 400 oven for about 15 minutes to cook it through. we really enjoyed the flavor and the skin was crispy. simply delicious!