Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
Cake baked in a skillet! Wonderful!
Make and share this Honey Spice Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 88.74 ml butter or 88.74 ml margarine
- 177.44 ml firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 453.59 g can canned pears, drained, halves look nicest
- 414.03 ml sifted all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 3.69 ml ginger
- 1.23 ml salt
- 78.07 ml shortening
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml honey
- 4.92 ml finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml hot water
- Melt butter or margarine in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar, stirring until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Arrange pear halves and lemon slices over the bottom of the skillet in butter sugar mixture.
- Sift flour, soda, spices, and salt onto wax paper.
- Beat shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the honey, egg and lemon rind. Stir in dry ingredients, half at a time, blending well after each addition. Stir in hot water.
- Carefully spoon batter over fruit in the skillet, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip.
- Loosen cake around the edges of the skillet with a knife blade. Cover skillet with a serving plate; invert and let stand 5 minutes. Lift off the skillet.
- Serve warm with a favourite topping. Whipped sweetened cream cheese or whipped cream or vanilla yogurt or ice cream are all good choices. Makes 6 to 8 servings depending on how you cut them.
I haven't made this recipe, so no real review here. I just thought it was worth noting that you should make sure you're using an oven-safe pan for this recipe. Not all pans were made to withstand the heat of an oven!