Honey Spice Upside-Down Cake
- Melt butter or margarine in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar, stirring until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Arrange pear halves and lemon slices over the bottom of the skillet in butter sugar mixture.
- Sift flour, soda, spices, and salt onto wax paper.
- Beat shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the honey, egg and lemon rind. Stir in dry ingredients, half at a time, blending well after each addition. Stir in hot water.
- Carefully spoon batter over fruit in the skillet, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip.
- Loosen cake around the edges of the skillet with a knife blade. Cover skillet with a serving plate; invert and let stand 5 minutes. Lift off the skillet.
- Serve warm with a favourite topping. Whipped sweetened cream cheese or whipped cream or vanilla yogurt or ice cream are all good choices. Makes 6 to 8 servings depending on how you cut them.