Cake baked in a skillet! Wonderful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned pears, drained, halves look nicest
- 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1Melt butter or margarine in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Add brown sugar, stirring until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
- 2Arrange pear halves and lemon slices over the bottom of the skillet in butter sugar mixture.
- 3Sift flour, soda, spices, and salt onto wax paper.
- 4Beat shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the honey, egg and lemon rind. Stir in dry ingredients, half at a time, blending well after each addition. Stir in hot water.
- 5Carefully spoon batter over fruit in the skillet, spreading as evenly as possible.
- 6Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip.
- 7Loosen cake around the edges of the skillet with a knife blade. Cover skillet with a serving plate; invert and let stand 5 minutes. Lift off the skillet.
- 8Serve warm with a favourite topping. Whipped sweetened cream cheese or whipped cream or vanilla yogurt or ice cream are all good choices. Makes 6 to 8 servings depending on how you cut them.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Spice Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.0
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 65.7 mg
- Sodium 416.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 68.2 g
- Protein 5.5 g