Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
A light and creamy orange topping adds a delightful touch to a homemade spice cake. Compliments of Land O Lakes.
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Orange Cream Ingredients
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- In large mixer bowl combine brown sugar, butter, 1/3 cup sour cream, 1/3 cup orange juice, honey and egg whites.
- Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Continue beating, gradually adding all remaining cake ingredients, until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Pour batter into greased 9-inch round cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl stir together all orange cream ingredients.
- Serve cake warm or cool with dollop of orange cream.
I'm really not so interested in baking, but this cake was a breeze to make. I love the orange spice flavour, and I loved the sour cream topping to go with it. I find it a bit difficult to think of butter by volume rather than weight, but I manged to figure it out and it was worth it!!
This is nice .. the cake rose very high and browned beautifully .. thank you, I will make this again