Recipe by Aunty Dotty
This is a yummy spicy cake I made for DB for his birthday. We were going away to the coast - it keeps really well and is actually better to eat the day after baking. Make sure you use a reasonably strongly flavoured honey in this too... From 'Cooking with Herbs and Spices'.
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup soft light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1 3⁄4 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 350F, and grease the chosen tin.
- Put butter, sugar, honey and 1 tbsp water into a saucepan and heat gently til melted and dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cool well - about 10 minutes.
- Sift flour into a bowl and mix in the spices.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the honey mix and eggs and beat until smooth.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake 40-50 minutes or until done.
- Make the icing by sifting the icing sugar into a bowl, stirring in enough water to make a flowing consistency and spoon it over the cooled cake. I used lemon juice instead of water in the icing - but that's just because I use any excuse to get citrus into foods! I think you could get as creative as you want with the icing. Enjoy!