Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This sounds so good... I couldn't resist ....I had to save it here :)
- 5 lbs pork spareribs
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock (homemade or canned)
- 1⁄2 cup demi-glace (or concentrated chicken broth)
- 1 cup Irish whiskey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Put ribs in a large pot or Dutch oven and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until fork-tender, about 1 hour, skimming water occasionally to remove foam. Transfer to a large baking pan. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in oil until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients except demi-glace or concentrated chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce reduces by half, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the demi-glace or concentrated chicken broth.
- Pour half the sauce over the ribs and bake, turning once, until the ribs begin to brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve 4 or more ribs per person with remaining sauce. Serves 4 to 6.
I'm rating this without stars for the moment because DH 's wee dram before bed extended the bottle of Tullimore Dew that I thought I had hidden away for recipes (er wrong, obviously not hidden nearly well enough!) and I only had bearly 1/3 Cup left for this recipe. The ribs cooked up wonderfully but I'm sure that the taste would have been even better with the other 2/3rds of the whisky in, so it's on the shopping list and I will review this better once I have made it again.