Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Tender beef short ribs, braised in a honey soy sauce topped with a spicy peanut glaze and served over warm jasmine rice.
- 5 lbs beef, short tibs cut into 4-oz portions
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced ginger
- 1⁄2 cup tbsps honey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coconut juice (can use orange juice)
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon thai hot sauce
- jasmine rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven on high heat sear the short ribs until browned then add soy sauce, hoisin, vinegar, garlic, ginger, 1/2 cup honey, water, green onion, crushed red pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the coconut or orange juice.
- Braise the ribs covered, for about 3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bones. Remove the short ribs from the braising liquid and cover to keep warm. Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Drain the fat off of the cooking liquid and discard. In a bowl add the peanut butter and place into the microwave for 30 seconds to soften, add the hot sauce, honey and stir.
- Spread a thin layer of the peanut butter and honey mixture over the top of the rib and then coat with the crushed peanuts.
- Bake the peanut crusted ribs for another 10 minutes, until the short ribs are heated through and glazed. Serve over rice and pour a small ladle of the braising liquid on top of the ribs. Garnish with scallions.
OMG Fantastic! The finished glaze on these ribs is so scrumptious with a lot umami happening. A keeper for sure.
Delicious short ribs! Made as directed except that I used boneless short ribs -- the trade off is less fat, but probably missed out on some flavor that the bones would have provided. Loved the peanut butter glaze and the crushed peanuts. Served over brown rice. Made for PRMR, September, 2013.