Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Australian Women's Weekly. Best made close to serving
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tablespoon oil, extra
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3⁄4 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornflour
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cut chicken into chunky strips, combine with five spice powder and sesame oil in bowl, cover, stand 10 minutes.
- Toss chicken in cornflour, shake away excess cornflour. Dip chicken in batter to coat evenly.
- Deep-fry chicken in hot oil until well browned and cooked through, drain on absorbent paper.
- Heat extra oil in pan, add honey, stir until heated through.
- Add chicken, toss well, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Sift flours into bowl, gradually stir in combined water and egg mix to a smooth thin batter.