Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
HONEY’S KICKED UP slow cooker CHILI is time consuming but tastes oh so good. won 1st place in several chili cook offs with this recipe. Hope you enjoy it too.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh sweet basil, minced
- 2 large whole bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh French thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh curry, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 large jalapeno, diced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1. In large cast iron skillet, brown turkey and hamburger, then add all above ingredients. Allow spice and meat mixture to simmer for 20 minutes after meat is browned.
- 2. In large stock pot add the following ingredients:.
- 1 #10 can of Dark Red kidney beans.
- 1 cup merlot wine.
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes.
- 2 cans diced tomatoes w/sweet onions.
- 1 cup sugar.
- 3 pkgs. McCormick mild chili seasoning.
- 2 cans tomato paste.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (should be added just before serving.).
- 3. Add meat mixture to stock pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for additional 20 minutes.
- 4. Transfer 1/2 to a large crock pot and cook 8 hours on low. Go to work in the morning, and when you come home, the chili will be waiting for you to eat. (The other 1/2 can be frozen for future use.).
- 5. Just before serving, stir in sharp cheddar cheese and allow to melt.
- Serve and enjoy!