Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Sweet and spicy - a great quick snack. Best to keep in an airtight container for about a week at room temp.
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup unbroken walnut halves
- Combine honey, sugar, salt, cayenne and cinnamon in a small pot over medium heat,.
- Stir once then cook 3 minutes till sugar dissolved.
- Add walnuts, stir to coat.
- Simmer 5 - 7 minutes or until syrup is lightly browned.
- Drain through a coarse sieve, discard cinnamon stick.
- Place walnuts on a wire rack over a 19 X 29 cms rectangular slice pan.
- Cook in moderate oven 180 C for about 8 minutes or until nuts have darkened slightly.
- Remove from oven, cool on wire rack.
- Nuts will crisp as they cool.
The walnuts did not dry as stated in the recipe. They are super sticky. I put them on a rack with wax paper underneath to catch drips. Several walnuts stuck to the wax paper and had to be thrown out. There was so much sauce that I used 4 cups of walnuts. The taste is ok, not outstanding. I will not be using this recipe again.
Your recipe will be famous! We enjoy the nuts with the chili touch. I can imagine that this could be nice presents for friend when we are invited in somebody%u2019s house. Tasty, special and pretty. What do you need more?
I%u2019m sure we%u2019ll do it again.
PERFECT! These were awesome; sweet, with a little heat, which creeps up on you! I thought I had walnut halves, but, mine were pieces, which worked out fine! The walnuts made a great nibble, before dinner, and would be perfect as a cocktail nosh. Oh, would also be awesome on a salad! I'm so glad I finally made these; I will save in them in my "tried and true'" cookbook! Thanks for sharing, katew!