Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this great recipe on the package of my fresh cut butternut squash. It looked yummy so I had to try it. The flavor of the roasted squash and apples with the crunch of the pecans is fantastic. This is a great way to get your family members to eat their veges. Enjoy.
- 1 lb butternut squash, cubed
- 1 medium baking apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cubed squash and apple in an 8'x8' baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons water and roast uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter, honey, pecans, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Remove squash from oven, and pour honey mixture over squash. Stir lightly to coat.
- Return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from oven and serve.
Sweet treat of a side. We really enjoyed the pecans being mixed in with the roasted squash. Made with out adding the two tablespoons of water and am glad I left the water out. This was so sweet that next time may cut the butter and honey each by a tablespoon each. Thanks for the post.
Carol thank you for sharing a wonderful Fall recipe! I did not weigh my squash and now wish I had as dh and I cleaned out the dish and wonder if I really had in the amount you suggested. We are big veggie people though. I must have cut my pieces too big b/c it did take longer than a total cooking time of 30 minutes more like 40 minutes. Next time I would reduce the butter and honey by one tablespoon. Made for the Apple Events.
This was excellent. My friend and I added dried cranberries and she suggested pineapple would also go well with it. I think both suggestions are very true. Thank you!!