I saw this on Easy Entertaining today. Super easy, and I would have never thought of it. They looked really good!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel the apples with a vegetable peeler, remove the core and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Heat a medium saute pan on medium-high heat with the butter in it. When the butter begins to brown add the lemon juice and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the apples and salt. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes until the edges just begin to color. Add the honey and put in oven for about 15 to 20 minutes until the apples are soft and lightly caramelized.
- Mash with a fork for a chunky version, or put in food processor for a smoother sauce. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
- Cook's Notes: Most applesauce recipes call for cooking the apples on the stovetop from start to finish. I prefer to start them on the stovetop and then finish them in a hot oven. The oven heat concentrates their flavors by drying and caramelizing them slightly. Although I have suggested a couple of apple varieties, you can use what good cooking apples are available in your area.