Prep 2 mins
Cook 1 min
This is something I make for my mom all the time. Often I just follow simple oatmeal directions and add in a random assortment of things and she loves it every time!
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (or yogurt covered raisins for additional sweetness)
- 2 Nature Valley Oats and Honey crunchy granola bars, crushed
- Boil the milk and salt over medium heat.
- As it is boiling, add the honey, nutmeg, and cinnamon sugar.
- Add the oats and cook about one minute.
- As it is cooking, add the raisins and crushed Nature Valley bars (or any other granola bar you prefer, it provides a nice crunch).
I thought this was good oatmeal. I loved the crunchiness of the oat bars (I only crumbled up one into my oatmeal). I did think the oatmeal was a little bit too sweet. Perhaps I would leave out either the cinnamon/sugar mix OR the honey. Also, I only used a 1/2 t. of nutmeg and it seemed like more than enough. I will play around with this oatmeal version and I do thank you for the great ideas!
Great oatmeal, hearty and filling! I didn't add the raisins. The honey was a great sweetener and I really enjoyed the addition of the crunchy granola bar (I used oats-n-honey flavored). Thanks for sharing the recipe!