Recipe by oilpatchjo
The honey not only lends flavor to this bread, but also draws water to the bread, keeping it moist longer! Fresh pumpkin also creates a better flavor - directions for preparing fresh pumpkin are at the bottom of this page.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 fresh pumpkin
- 1⁄8 cup oil (or Pam cooking spray)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour into greased 9x5 bread pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hour, or until a knife placed in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from pan.
- Note:Preparing Fresh Pumpkin.
- There are many different ways to prepare pumpkin, but this is the easiest and quickest method we have found yet. When cooked right, the hard outer shell peels off practically by itself!Sugar pumpkins (the small pumpkins the size of a volleyball) are recommended, but we have used jack-o-lantern sized pumpkins, and even giant 50-100 pound pumpkins, with good results. In general, the smaller the pumpkin, the sweeter the meat. You may need to add more honey with a larger pumpkin (taste before baking). Use fresh pumpkins, not carved pumpkins. Any pulp not used immediately in recipes can be stored for up to 2 days in the refridgerator, or can be stored in the freezer indefinitely. If you store in the freezer, place a 1 cup portion in a plastic bag - this is the amount required by most recipes.
- Directions:Cut pumpkin in halves (or quarters, if large). Scoop out pulp and seeds. (Seeds can be saved later for roasting.) Lightly oil inside meat of pumpkin. Cover meat side of pumpkin with foil. Place foil-side down on cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is soft throughout. Allow to cool until you can handle with your hands. Scrape pulp from rind and place in blender. Puree until consistent throughout. Line colander with coffee filters. Place puree in colander and allow to drain 2-3 hours, or overnight in fridge.