Recipe by UmmBinat
ZWT7 South America. Membrillo as the quince is called in Spanish is a fruit widely used in Portugal, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Spain, Uruguay and Venezuela. Firm fruit like Bosc pears or Golden Delicious apples can be prepared similarly; poach them for 30 minutes. From Grace Parisi on http://www.foodandwine.com.
Top Review by duonyte
My quinces are yet but a promise, with the tree in full blossom. So I made this recipe with firm Bosc pears - just three of them. The pears were done in about 30 minutes. I added some fresh lemon thyme to the poaching liquid, which I think added a subtle flavor, and I would add a few cloves for variety. As the pears were cooling, I remembered that I had some raspberry quince syrup and stirred in a tablespoon or so of that - it added a bit of that quincy pink color and flavor to the liquid. I think this would be even better with quince, as the quince have a more pronounced flavor than do pears. Hoping to try again if the harvest is good!
- 12 cups water (This is the correct amount)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mild honey
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested (removed with vegetable peeler)
- 12 medium quinces (6 ounces each, peeled, quartered and cored)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, combine the water with the sugar, honey, lemon juice and lemon zest and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the quinces and return to a boil.
- Cover partially and cook over low heat until tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove the quinces with a slotted spoon.
- Boil the syrup until it is reduced to 4 cups, about 20 minutes.
- Return the quinces to the syrup while it cools.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy skillet, toast the almonds over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Serve the quinces at room temperature or chilled, with their syrup and the yogurt, sprinkled with almonds.
- MAKE AHEAD:.
- The poached quinces can be refrigerated in the honey syrup for up to 3 days.