Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was a grand champion winner! From Midwest Living. If your garlic cloves are large, 2 cloves minced is plenty. Chicken thighs or other meaty pieces may be used instead of drumsticks. Marinating time is not included in the prep or cook time.
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- For marinade, combine all ingredients except the chicken in a large saucepan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
- Place chicken in plastic. Pour the marinade over, seal the bag, and turn several times to make sure all the chicken is coated well. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain the chicken pieces, discarding marinade. Grill for 40 to 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked and no longer pink.
I halved all the ingredients since I had 6 nice sized drumsticks... I ended up marinating them for over 24 hours since my BF decided he didn't want chicken two nights in a row... We grilled them on our gas grill on MED and had a lot of flare ups due to the honey and juice in the marinade... So some of the pieces came out a little more charred than we would have liked, but the meat was nice and juicy and you could taste a faint sweetness from the pineapple juice. I used fresh ginger and would recommend doing so... Thanks for sharing!!!
I made this slightly different and LOVED it. Instead of grilling it I baked it in all of the ingredients and the flavor was phenomenal!!! Would recommend trying it this way! Family LOVED it! Thanks!
Sorry, based on the photo and being a grand champion winner - I was expecting so much more. I marinated the chicken legs overnight, and there still wasn't alot of flavour! Very surprised & disappointed.