This is adapted from "Putting it up with Honey" by Susan Geiskopf. Use this on toast or English muffins, or on pancakes.
- Wash and sterilize 5 half-pint canning jars and rings.
- Combine all ingredients except ginger root.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is of spreading consistency.
- Spoon hot mixture into hot sterilized jars to within 1/2-inch from top.
- Slice ginger root (no need to peel) into 5 slices. Add a slice of ginger to each jar, pushing it into the preserves.
- Seal with new lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
- Remove from water and listen for "ping" to make sure the jars seal. Store in a cool, dark spot. Let sit to age and get ginger flavor melded, for about 1-2 weeks before using.