Recipe by Outta Here
This is adapted from "Putting it up with Honey" by Susan Geiskopf. Use this on toast or English muffins, or on pancakes.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Wonderful! I actually put this up a number of months ago, but just got around to opening a jar. Delicious! Great ginger flavor, and honey, lemon, and pear are a wonderful combination. Forgot the salt but didn't miss it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 4 cups pears, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 8 pears)
- 2 1⁄2 cups honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, finely diced (peel and all)
- 2 inches gingerroot
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and sterilize 5 half-pint canning jars and rings.
- Combine all ingredients except ginger root.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is of spreading consistency.
- Spoon hot mixture into hot sterilized jars to within 1/2-inch from top.
- Slice ginger root (no need to peel) into 5 slices. Add a slice of ginger to each jar, pushing it into the preserves.
- Seal with new lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
- Remove from water and listen for "ping" to make sure the jars seal. Store in a cool, dark spot. Let sit to age and get ginger flavor melded, for about 1-2 weeks before using.