1/2 Photos of Honey-Orange Glazed Sesame Chicken
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for Orange Chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 butterflied boneless chicken breasts (cut into 1/2'' strips across the grain)
GARLIC SESAME OIL
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 6 crushed fresh garlic cloves, left intact
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
HONEY ORANGE SAUCE
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons grade a clover honey
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (or 2 tablespoons white wine) or 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or 2 tablespoons white wine)
- 1 tablespoon thinly snipped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon thinly snipped green onion top
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1CRUSH 6 whole garlic cloves with the side of a cleaver to release aromatic oils (leave cloves whole); ADD crushed garlic cloves to 1/4 cup sesame oil to infuse flavors; SET aside; MEASURE 1/2 cup cornstarch into a plastic bag or sealable container for DREDGING; SET aside; WHISK the SESAME GLAZE ingredients in a small bowl; SET aside; WASH oranges and SLICE the needed oranges for GARNISH; GRATE 1 teaspoon zest; SQUEEZE 3 tablespoons orange juice: SET aside.
- 2WHISK the HONEY-ORANGE SAUCE ingredients in a medium microwaveable bowl: 1 cup chicken broth, 3 tablespoons Grade A clover honey, 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, 3 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry (or 2 tablespoons dry white wine), 1 tablespoon thinly snipped fresh cilantro leaves, 1 tablespoon thinly snipped green onion tops, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder, MICROWAVE for 1 minute on high; SET aside.
- 3BUTTERLY 2-3 chicken breasts and separate; SLICE into 1/2 inch strips across the grain and set aside.
- 4BEAT 1 egg with 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; DIP chicken strips into EGG DIP mixture; SHAKE chicken strips in a bag with 1/2 cup cornstarch DREDGING, until well-coated.
- 5POUR the SESAME GARLIC OIL into a wok; HEAT wok to HIGH heat setting; COAT sides of wok with with oil by swirling; STIR garlic until garlic is lightly browned and oil is fragrant, 2 minutes; REMOVE garlic with a spoon.
- 6ADD dredged BONELESS CHICKEN strips and fry for 3 minutes, stirring constantly; REMOVE chicken with a slotted spoon; DRAIN chicken on paper towels.
- 7IMMEDIATELY pour the microwaved HONEY-ORANGE SAUCE mixture to wok and bring to a boil, stirring; POUR in the whisked SESAME GLAZE solution; COOK, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens; TURN wok OFF.
- 8RETURN cooked chicken to wok with the sauce; STIR until chicken is coated with sauce and heated through.
- 9SERVE hot chicken and sauce over hot cooked jasmine rice.
- 10GARNISH with 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, 1 sliced orange twist and 1 cilantro leaf; ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey-Orange Glazed Sesame Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.2
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 92.9 mg
- Sodium 424.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 19.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: