Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
My recipe for Orange Chicken.
- 2 -3 butterflied boneless chicken breasts (cut into 1/2'' strips across the grain)
GARLIC SESAME OIL
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 6 crushed fresh garlic cloves, left intact
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
HONEY ORANGE SAUCE
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons grade a clover honey
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine (or 2 tablespoons white wine) or 1 tablespoon dry sherry (or 2 tablespoons white wine)
- 1 tablespoon thinly snipped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon thinly snipped green onion top
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 sliced orange twist
- 1 tablespoon thinly snipped green onion
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- CRUSH 6 whole garlic cloves with the side of a cleaver to release aromatic oils (leave cloves whole); ADD crushed garlic cloves to 1/4 cup sesame oil to infuse flavors; SET aside; MEASURE 1/2 cup cornstarch into a plastic bag or sealable container for DREDGING; SET aside; WHISK the SESAME GLAZE ingredients in a small bowl; SET aside; WASH oranges and SLICE the needed oranges for GARNISH; GRATE 1 teaspoon zest; SQUEEZE 3 tablespoons orange juice: SET aside.
- WHISK the HONEY-ORANGE SAUCE ingredients in a medium microwaveable bowl: 1 cup chicken broth, 3 tablespoons Grade A clover honey, 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, 3 tablespoons white vinegar, 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry (or 2 tablespoons dry white wine), 1 tablespoon thinly snipped fresh cilantro leaves, 1 tablespoon thinly snipped green onion tops, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder, MICROWAVE for 1 minute on high; SET aside.
- BUTTERLY 2-3 chicken breasts and separate; SLICE into 1/2 inch strips across the grain and set aside.
- BEAT 1 egg with 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper; DIP chicken strips into EGG DIP mixture; SHAKE chicken strips in a bag with 1/2 cup cornstarch DREDGING, until well-coated.
- POUR the SESAME GARLIC OIL into a wok; HEAT wok to HIGH heat setting; COAT sides of wok with with oil by swirling; STIR garlic until garlic is lightly browned and oil is fragrant, 2 minutes; REMOVE garlic with a spoon.
- ADD dredged BONELESS CHICKEN strips and fry for 3 minutes, stirring constantly; REMOVE chicken with a slotted spoon; DRAIN chicken on paper towels.
- IMMEDIATELY pour the microwaved HONEY-ORANGE SAUCE mixture to wok and bring to a boil, stirring; POUR in the whisked SESAME GLAZE solution; COOK, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens; TURN wok OFF.
- RETURN cooked chicken to wok with the sauce; STIR until chicken is coated with sauce and heated through.
- SERVE hot chicken and sauce over hot cooked jasmine rice.
- GARNISH with 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, 1 sliced orange twist and 1 cilantro leaf; ENJOY!