1/2 Photos of Honey-Orange Glazed Corn Bread
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for a corn bread baked and glazed with honey and fresh orange essences can be baked in a dish, or prepared as muffins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons grade a pure honey
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lightly beaten large egg
- 1NOTE: USE ONLY GRADE A HONEY, BUTTER, AND ORGANIC RIPE ORANGES. IF MAKING MUFFINS, IT IS RECOMMENDED YOU DOUBLE THE HONEY-ORANGE GLAZE RECIPE. (STEP ONE): PREHEAT oven to 400°F for sheet cornbread, OR 350°F for muffins; BUTTER an 8"x8" square glass baking dish or a 9"x9" glass pie plate (OR grease, then add liners, in up to 18 muffin cups); FINELY grate 1/4 teaspoon fresh orange zest for the glaze; KNEAD and squeeze oranges to yield 6 tablespoons juice for the batter.
- 2COMBINE the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl (1 cup yellow cornmeal, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon).
- 3WHISK the wet ingredients well in a small mixing bowl (3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk, 6 tablespoons grade A pure honey, 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 1 lightly beaten large egg).
- 4ADD the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; STIR just until blended (IF PREPARING MUFFINS, LET BATTER REST 3-4 MINUTES, RE-STIR, THEN FILL MUFFIN CUPS.
- 5SCRAPE batter into prepared baking dish, or equally into muffin cups, using a flexible spatula.
- 6BAKE sheet cornbread on center rack at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, OR muffins at 350°F for 18-20 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 7MEANWHILE, prepare the HONEY-ORANGE GLAZE: In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon salted real butter. Add 1 tablespoon grade A pure honey and 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest. Stir until flavors meld and consistency is smooth, about 3 minutes. Keep warm on lowest heat.
- 8IMMEDIATELY after baking while wearing oven mitts, baste the HONEY-ORANGE GLAZE quickly, neatly and evenly over top of corn bread using a soft pastry brush.
- 9COVER baking tin with a foil tent (don't allow tent to touch cornbread or muffins), sealing the edges tightly; LET stand for 10 minutes.
- 10SERVE warm and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey-Orange Glazed Corn Bread
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.2
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.0 mg
- Sodium 339.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: