Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
A yummy sandwich bread from Brown Eyed Baker. http://bit.ly/bxIRdu She has excellent photos on her blog, so check out the recipe over there if you need guidance.
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water (10 fl.oz. )
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (3 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey (3 ounces)
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour (7 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder (1 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- Combine boiling water, oats, butter, salt, and honey in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature until lukewarm.
- Transfer to work bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attachment. Add remaining ingredients. Turn on lowest speed until it begins to form a shaggy mass, then increase speed to medium or medium-high. Knead until smooth and springy when poked; it may still be slightly tacky. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Grease your hands and turn the dough out onto a floured work surface. Deflate and gently pat into a 9x5" rectangle. Roll, starting from the short end, into a neat log. Do not taper the ends. Pinch the seam to seal, then place into prepared loaf pan, seam side down. Cover LOOSELY with lightly-greased plastic wrap, then let stand in a warm place until dough stands 1-1 1/2" above rim of pan, 60-90 minutes.
- About 20 minutes before dough is ready, preheat oven to 350°F When hot, remove plastic and place pan in oven. Bake 45 minutes; tent with foil after 20 minutes to prevent over-browning. Bread will be golden brown and read 190°F on an instant-read thermometer when done. Remove from oven and let stand 1 minute, then remove from pan and place on a rack. Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with oats, and let cool to room temperature before slicing and eating.