Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These hearty handhelds are made with the wholesome goodness of rolled oats, buttermilk, honey and wheat. Chewy and full of flavor, they're great warm with melted butter or as smart snacks for kids on the go.
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine buttermilk and oats in a small saucepan; heat just until warm; set aside.
- Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine honey and vegetable oil with oat mixture.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into wet mixture. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
This didn't work for me. The muffins stuck to the paper liner on the bottom and some sides so it definitely wasn't presentable. The taste was ok just the fact it didn't come out I couldn't use them for hubby's work. Sorry! Maybe I should have read Lalaloula's review about adding more flour. Made for Zaar's Newest Star Tag Game 2011.
These muffins turned out perfect taste wise. They were oaty and slightly sweet with a nice depth of flavour from the honey. The texture was quite special, fudgy and pudding like, almost like a baked porridge. I liked that, but next time Ill add a bit more flour to the batter I think just to have them a bit more on the firm side. I needed to bake my muffins about 10 minutes longer than stated, but that might vary from oven to oven.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a great healthy recipe, this is wonderful for breakfast and Ill make it again for sure.
Made and reviewed for PRMR Tag September 2011.