1/2 Photos of Honey Oatmeal Buns Subway Style by Uncle Bill
2 hrs 15 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
I have been trying to make buns similar to the SUBWAY buns and after checking with several other people and taking their recipes and making some changes, I came up with this recipe that is light, tasty and so good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan, combine water, honey and butter.
- 2Heat over low heat until liquids are warm (120 F to 130 F.) DO NOT BOIL.
- 3In a large bowl or a bread mixing machine, add 5 cups of flour, cooking oats, salt and yeast; mix to blend.
- 4Gradually mix in warm liquids and mix until liquids are absorbed.
- 5Add eggs and mix for about 3 minutes until all ingredients are well mixed together.
- 6Remove dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour.
- 7Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is nice and smooth.
- 8Roll dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease the top.
- 9Cover and let rise in a warm area until dough is doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 10Punch dough down and divide into 8 equal pieces.
- 11Roll dough out into the shape of a log, about 12 inches long and about 1 1/4 inches round.
- 12Place dough log buns on 2 large cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, (4 on each sheet)and spaced.
- 13Cover and let rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 14Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 15In a small bowl, combine cold water and egg white and whisk until frothy.
- 16Brush tops of loaves with egg mixture.
- 17Sprinkle quick cooking oats over the top surface of the loaves.
- 18Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- 19Cool buns on a wire rack.
- 20You are now ready to make your favorite Subway sandwich.
- 21You may also make 2 - 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch loaves.
- 22Bake at 375 F for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Oatmeal Buns Subway Style by Uncle Bill
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.3
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 73.1 mg
- Sodium 664.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 13.0 g