Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I have been trying to make buns similar to the SUBWAY buns and after checking with several other people and taking their recipes and making some changes, I came up with this recipe that is light, tasty and so good.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, honey and butter.
- Heat over low heat until liquids are warm (120 F to 130 F.) DO NOT BOIL.
- In a large bowl or a bread mixing machine, add 5 cups of flour, cooking oats, salt and yeast; mix to blend.
- Gradually mix in warm liquids and mix until liquids are absorbed.
- Add eggs and mix for about 3 minutes until all ingredients are well mixed together.
- Remove dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is nice and smooth.
- Roll dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm area until dough is doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll dough out into the shape of a log, about 12 inches long and about 1 1/4 inches round.
- Place dough log buns on 2 large cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, (4 on each sheet)and spaced.
- Cover and let rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl, combine cold water and egg white and whisk until frothy.
- Brush tops of loaves with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle quick cooking oats over the top surface of the loaves.
- Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool buns on a wire rack.
- You are now ready to make your favorite Subway sandwich.
- You may also make 2 - 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch loaves.
- Bake at 375 F for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
i work in subway and the honey oat bread is simply wheat bread rolled in a honey oat topping, with four score along it :)
I halved this recipe and am sad that I did. This is the best roll recipe I have ever had in my entire life! Thank you so much. I have no idea what subway bread tastes like since I am a celiac, but they smelled exactly like subway when I walk by it daily, Thank you so much Uncle Bill!
Wonderful! They are sweeter than I expected, but still delicious plain or for sandwiches. I used 3 cups of white flour, 1 cup oat flour (just toss some oatmeal in the blender to make it), and the rest whole-wheat flour.