Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
A delicious, nutritious fool-proof bread using ingredients in your pantry!
- 1 cup oats (quick or regular)
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (can sub some ww)
- Put oats, honey, salt, and butter (if using) into a large bowl. Pour boiling water over and let sit till barely warm.
- Add yeast and flour, mixing well.
- Turn out onto floured counter and knead for 5 minutes. Add flour as necessary because this can be a sticky dough due to the honey and oats.
- Put dough back into bowl, cover with a cloth, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Turn dough out onto floured counter, punch down, divide into 2 loaves.
- Place loaves on a lightly greased cookie sheet (or 1/2 sheet pan), cover with cloth again and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, brush loaves with milk and sprinkle with oats (if desired), and bake for 35 minutes.
Most definitely a five star bread! And we love home made bread. I made a half batch as the two of us can only eat so much. Truly am very impressed with this and was simple too. I made as directed except used my dough hook. Made for Spring PAC 2010. Thank you Jane for a wonderful recipe that I will definitely be repeating! :)
Excellent for making buns! I used 4 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour and it's great. To make buns, tear risen dough in half, and then half again and then thirds. Should make a dozen. Then let rise on pan the 45 mins. I uploaded a pic of my whole wheat buns sprinkled with oats. Bake approx 14 mins. Enjoy!
As usual, nothing was coming together the way the Internet said it should and then here comes this 5 shining stars of a recipe You've left me no choice but to eat half.