Recipe by Janecooksswell
A delicious, nutritious fool-proof bread using ingredients in your pantry!
Top Review by WiGal
Most definitely a five star bread! And we love home made bread. I made a half batch as the two of us can only eat so much. Truly am very impressed with this and was simple too. I made as directed except used my dough hook. Made for Spring PAC 2010. Thank you Jane for a wonderful recipe that I will definitely be repeating! :)
- 1 cup oats (quick or regular)
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (can sub some ww)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oats, honey, salt, and butter (if using) into a large bowl. Pour boiling water over and let sit till barely warm.
- Add yeast and flour, mixing well.
- Turn out onto floured counter and knead for 5 minutes. Add flour as necessary because this can be a sticky dough due to the honey and oats.
- Put dough back into bowl, cover with a cloth, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Turn dough out onto floured counter, punch down, divide into 2 loaves.
- Place loaves on a lightly greased cookie sheet (or 1/2 sheet pan), cover with cloth again and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, brush loaves with milk and sprinkle with oats (if desired), and bake for 35 minutes.