Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes off the package of Bob's Vital Wheat Gluten. I don't want to lose it, so I'm posting it here!
- 4 1⁄2-4 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons bob's vital wheat gluten
- 3 (1 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon salt (I use sea salt)
- 1⁄2 cup scottish oats
- In large mixer bowl COMBINE 2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- In saucepan HEAT milk, honey, oil and salt just til warm (115-120 F).
- ADD to dry mixture in mixer bowl.
- BEAT at low speed with electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly.
- By hand, STIR in oats and enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and KNEAD til smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes).
- SHAPE into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.
- COVER; let rise in warm place until double (about 45 minutes).
- PUNCH dough down; turn out on lightly floured surface.
- DIVIDE dough in half.
- COVER; let rest 10 minutes.
- SHAPE into two loaves; place in two greased 8-1/2x4-1/2-2-1/2" loaf pans.
- COVER; let rise in warm place til double (about 30 minutes).
- BAKE at 375F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.
Nice, hearty, whole wheat bread. The yeast amount quoted in the recipe is off; I ended up locating the original recipe at www.bobsredmill.com and determined the proper yeast amount was 2 tbsp., and the recipe also specifically called for sea salt. Good bread! Made for PAC Spring '09.