Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This recipe makes 18 1 1/2 lb loaves. It freezes for longer storage very well by letting cool completly and then wrapping and sealing in freezer bags. Thaw on counter about 5 hours before service.
- 2 quarts hot water
- 1 lb oatmeal
- 1 dozen egg, beaten
- 2 1⁄4 cups honey
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup yeast
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 cups very warm water (not too hot)
- 8 -9 lbs hi-gluten flour
- 3 lbs whole wheat flour
- Put hot water and oatmeal in large bowl. Let set for about 5 minutes to soften.
- In measuring cup put warm water and add the 1/2 c of yeast to soften. Set aside.
- After the 5 minutes add the beaten eggs to the oatmeal and let set for 3-5 minutes.
- Add oil, honey, salt and yeast/water mix to the bowl and combined. Add flour gradually alternating between white and wheat flour to the mixture. Once everything is mixed together, knead with your hands for another 8-10 minutes. Let rise 3 times at 30 minutes intervals. Making sure to punch down everytime at the 30 minute mark. After rising 3 times divide into 26 oz pieces and then shape into loaves and let rise again till doubled in size about 30-45 minutes. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or until done. You should be able to tap the top of the loaf and it sound hollow.