1/2 Photos of Honey Oat Quick Bread
1 hr 5 mins
Mrs Goodall's Note:
Love this bread!!! I have been trying to eat 5 times a day (healthy food) and this bread fits perfectly into my plan. It is easy, quick to make, very moist and really tastes good! It is great on its own but would also be a wonderful accompaniment to soup. The recipe calls for mild or clover honey, but I used a stronger flavored honey with great results. From EatingWell magazine Jan 2007.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup old fashioned oats, NOT instant
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned oats (1 T for bottom of loaf pan, and 1 T for top of bread)
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 (8 ounce) container nonfat plain yogurt (scant 1 cup, low fat may be substituted)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk (low fat may be substituted)
- 1Position rack in middle of over and preheat to 375 degrees.
- 2Generously coat a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- 3Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon oats in the pan, coating the sides and bottom with the oats.
- 4Thouroughly stir together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- 5Using a fork, beat together 1 cup of oats, yogurt, egg, oil and honey in a medium bowl until well blended.
- 6Stir in milk.
- 7Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until thoroughly incoporated but not overmixed (excess mixing can cause toughening).
- 8Immedieatley scrape the batter into the pan, spreading evenly to the edges.
- 9Sprinkle the reserved 1 Tablespoon oats over the top of loaf.
- 10Bake the loaf until well browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 - 50 minutes. (It's normal for the top to crack).
- 11Let stand in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a table knife around and under the loaf to loosen it and turn it outo the rack.
- 12Let cool until barely warm, about 45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Oat Quick Bread
Serving Size: 1 (995 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.3
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 366.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 6.2 g