Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
This recipe was modified to reduce both sugar and fat. If you replace the chocolate with something like dried cranberries or raisins, this might *almost* pass for breakfast on a hectic day (it is still a cookie, after all!).
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups M&M's (or other mix-in of your choice) or 2 cups chocolate chips (or other mix-in of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat margarine on medium to high speed until fluffy.
- Beat in sugars, baking soda, cinnamon, egg, applesauce, honey and vanilla until combined.
- Blend in flour, oats and wheat germ.
- Stir in M&M's.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to divide up dough. Place them 3-4" apart on parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten slightly with a glass or spoon.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool for a couple of minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.