Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
This recipe was modified to reduce both sugar and fat. If you replace the chocolate with something like dried cranberries or raisins, this might *almost* pass for breakfast on a hectic day (it is still a cookie, after all!).
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups M&M's (or other mix-in of your choice) or 2 cups chocolate chips (or other mix-in of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat margarine on medium to high speed until fluffy.
- Beat in sugars, baking soda, cinnamon, egg, applesauce, honey and vanilla until combined.
- Blend in flour, oats and wheat germ.
- Stir in M&M's.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to divide up dough. Place them 3-4" apart on parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten slightly with a glass or spoon.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool for a couple of minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.