Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I found this recipe at recipecottage.com; I was looking for something that didn't involve yeast, but was a little more hearty than biscuits or scones. This seemed to fit the bill. The oatmeal adds a little more nutrition than your basic white bread. I have a loaf in the oven right now and it's smelling pretty good =).
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease bread pan and flour lightly.
- Mix together flour, oats, baking powder, and salt In a separate bowl, beat egg and mix together with honey and milk.
- Combine ingredients, mixing well.
- NOTE: mixture will not be smooth.
- Pour into bread pan, bake for about 1 hour and 15 min, or until crusty and tester comes out clean.
- Pour melted butter over the top and turn out on wire rack.