Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a nice change from your regular wheat bread. Made using a bread machine. Preparation time does not include time to rise.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 2⁄3 cups bread flour
- 2⁄3 cup dark whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup oatmeal
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- Note: You may decrease the amount of white flour and increase the wheat flour, but the bread will not rise as high.
- Add ingredients in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Set Cycle: Dough, Size: 2lb.
- Spray two baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray, and preheat the oven to 375F.
- When the cycle is finished, take the dough out and divide into 20 equal pieces (I use a scale).
- Roll into ropes about 8 inches long, and tie as you would a knot, press the ends together and place end-side down on the baking sheet.
- Allow to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with eggs or milk; eggs give a shiny, golden hard crust, milk gives a tender golden crust, water makes a light shine and crisp golden crust.
- Or brush with honey for a sweet crust after baking.
- Bake until well-browned, about 15 minutes.
This is a hearty bread, nutty, and very nice flavor. I love the oatmeal nutty taste to this bread I, however, made them into hamburger buns which was a mistake. I got 6 buns out of them but they were too heavy for buns. So the next time, I will just do dinner rolls.
Great hearty bread. We loved it and I will make this again. Thanks!