Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
OH YUM! From All Recipes.
- 10 fresh bratwursts
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into long strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into long strips
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into rings and separated
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 2 cups honey mustard barbecue sauce
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) beer
- 10 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- Place half of the bratwurst in the bottom of a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Arrange half of the green pepper, red pepper, and onion over them. Layer the remaining bratwurst over the top, and top with the remaining red and green bell peppers and onion. Throw in the garlic and bay leaves.
- In a separate bowl, mix together HALF of the honey mustard sauce, liquid smoke and beer.
- Pour into the slow cooker. Add more beer if necessary to cover everything in the pot. Cover, and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate.
- Remove bratwurst from the slow cooker, but leave onions and peppers inside. Place bratwurst on the grill and baste with some of the remaining honey mustard sauce. Turn occasionally until slightly charred.
- Place bratwurst on rolls, and use tongs to pull out a few of the onions and peppers from the slow cooker and drape them over the sausage.
I loved the flavor but my husband didn't care for the soft texture of the inside of the brats. I would probably havae to not do the brats in the crock pot next time.
I only made one layer of these (5 brats) but used regular amounts of all other ingredients. (I did not use any smoke, I couldn't find it.) I browned off 2 under broiler, but honestly liked the soft texture fresh out of the pot best. My husband really liked the flavor. I can't wait for leftover lunch tomorrow.
These are awesome!!! I didn't have any beer on hand so used beef broth instead as well as beer brats. The smell while these were cooking was out of this world!!! I added a bit of horseradish to my brat. I normally don't care for brats but make them for my husband. Will make them again!!! Thanks!!!