Prep 96 hrs
Cook 40 mins
These wonderful soft cut-out cookies are a recipe of my grandmothers - she used to stir these sticky, THICK, beauties by hand!! In fact, she was hesitant to share the recipe because of how much work they are to roll out! ;) The dough needs to be REALLY cold for ease of rolling, otherwise they'll stick to EVERYTHING!
- Cream shortening and sugar, then add eggs.
- Add honey, molasses, & hot water mixed with soda (prior to adding to mixture).
- Add cinnamon, cloves, salt, and flour.
- Dough will be REALLY sticky - chill dough at LEAST 24 hours (4 days is recommended).
- Roll on well-floured surfaced to about 1/4" thickness and cut. Sprinkle with sugar before baking.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8-10 minutes - they will puff up while baking.