Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A drink almost as old as civilization. The name derives from the ancient words for honey. This recipe was used as early as 1818. Fermentation and standing time not included in preparation time. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Add honey to water and boil 45 minutes.
- Add hops and boil 30 additional minutes (or if using yeast, cool to lukewarn and crumble yeast into it).
- Let stand overnight.
- Add brandy or sack and pour into a large crock or cask.
- Cover with an oversized lid and let stand until fermentation is complete.
- Cover tightly and seal.
- Let stand a year; bottle.